Do you want to be part of a community and grow a career? At Southern Co-op we work hard because we want to do well and the more successful we are the more we can give back to our members and communities – that’s the beauty of a co-operative.
You will be supporting the In-house Legal Counsel in carrying out company secretarial and legal functions for The Southern Co-operative Limited (“Southern Co-op”) and subsidiary/associated organisations. Providing a range of in-house legal advice in relation to Southern Co-op’s business needs in conjunction with the Procurement and Contracts Specialist.
- Maintain statutory registers and filing of annual returns, accounts and company changes for Southern Co-op and all group subsidiaries / associated organisations to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Provide expert, accurate, timely practical and commercially sound advice in response to the business’s needs, whether by reviewing, drafting and negotiating agreements and documents, researching legal issues and providing ad hoc legal advice or otherwise and pro-actively to remain updated on relevant legal developments and keep the business informed, as appropriate.
- Assist in operating statutory compliance programmes such as data protection.
- Provide legal advice and support relating to contractual and procurement matters to the Procurement and Contracts Specialist.
- Assist the In-house Legal Counsel and Director of Corporate Affairs in relation to Board, Board sub-committee and subsidiary administration, including preparing agenda, drafting Board and sub-committee reports and drafting minutes.
- Work alongside the Director of Corporate Affairs, Chairs of the Board and sub-committees and the Leadership Team to ensure all follow-up actions are completed and communications are carried out.
- Review the training requirements of Directors and in conjunction with the In-house Legal Counsel devise a training programme. Make arrangements for Board training to facilitate each Director being able to achieve appropriate and relevant training each year and maintain up to date records of all training. Assist in the Board’s Skills Audit and Evaluation process.
- Assist the In-house Legal Counsel and Director of Corporate Affairs in relation to arrangements for and organisation of directors’ elections and members’ meetings for Southern Co-op and all group subsidiaries and associated organisations in compliance with their respective Rules/Memorandum and Articles including attendance at members’ meetings to assist in the running of them on the day.
- Provide assistance to and/or cover for other members of the Corporate Affairs department at times of annual leave, sickness or when workload requires it, so far as own commitments allow, to ensure the operational needs of the department are met.
Key Experience, Knowledge and Skills
- Legal knowledge in relation to one or more areas of corporate and commercial law, for example, IP/IT; digital, marketing, property, contracts, franchising, regulatory compliance, retail, end of life services, environmental. Experience in house or in private practice.
- Commercial awareness and understanding of key factors such as sustainability, co-operative values and principles, risk management and ethical issues and their relevance in relation to contractual arrangements.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multi-task.
- High level of literacy and ability to write reports clearly and concisely with attention to detail.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to communicate with people at all levels.
- High standards of personal and professional integrity.
- Willingness to learn, desire to gain further role specific knowledge through training and development, on the job and/or externally.
- Previous experience in a similar role either in house or in private practice.
Paralegal qualification desirable.
Southern Co-op is a large, independent co-operative society established in Portsmouth over 145 years ago. Operating across 11 counties in the south of England, our main business is food where we have a network of over 200 stores. We also offer end of life services which includes funeral homes, crematoria and a natural burial ground.
Many of our Managers have progressed up through the business and we take pride in developing our people.
If you’re passionate about commercial law, and have a background in a fast-paced environment then we would love to hear from you. In return, we will offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to develop your skills and grow your career.